Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Standing Out in the Crowd

So as I walk the streets of Huaraz, Peru not unlike any other day, everyone who passes by turns and stares. For most of the past few months there hasn't been much tourism and being one of the only "gringos" around I guess I thought eventually I would stand out so much. As you can see in the picture from Edgar's wedding, I stand a full head taller than Edgar who would certainly not be considered short by Peruvian standards. So yes I stand out in a crowd, being a head taller than pretty much everyone with a complexion much lighter than everyone, they can't help but turn and stare. Now most of you that know me know that it takes a lot to irritate or annoy me. Now I wouldn't say that this is irritating or annoying me, I think I would say it is a little disappointing, as if I just expected them to eventually think oh yeah it is just that "big gringo" and it wouldn't be such a big deal as I walked down the street. As I thought more about it I realized standing out in a crowd should be a good thing. As christians we should strive to stand out in a crowd. Now not necessarily because we are a head taller than everyone else, but because we are different. Different because we demonstrate God's love every chance we get. Because we love God with all our heart, all our soul, all our strength and all our mind. Because we love our neighbor as we love ourselves. We are to be a light in a dark world, a city on a hill. So now whenever I see them staring at me as I walk the streets, I just smile and think do I stand out only because I am a head taller or because I am different, a light in a dark place.

Prayer Requests:

1. Angel, the director for Scripture Union at Kusi, has a small lump and they are unsure yet what it is, a few options include a hernia and a tumor. He should find out for sure what it is this coming week and then will have to make arrangements for the operation. Please pray for his healing and for the financial means to do whatever is necessary.

2. I am very thankful to have 2 upcoming visits from the States. First on May 9th, David Servais will be coming, pray for his safe travels here and for ours around Peru as we travel to Machu Picchu to see one of the new seven wonders of the world. Second on June 6th, my Dad and little brother will be coming, pray also for their safe travels and for our time together here in Peru. While they are here we will be doing a workshop on carpentry for the older boys in Kusi, please pray for this time as well. We are currently seeking donations to help purchase tools which will be donated to them to use for future projects for Kusi as well as for building items to sell.

3. I am finishing up my time here in Huaraz and will be traveling the majority of my remaining 3 1/2 months here in Peru. Please pray for this time as I will be traveling a lot and translating for work teams. I am also looking for a place in Lima to use as a home base during these few months. Please pray for God's provision for this need as well.

Dios te bendiga!!!